The main aim of the Maremma Sheepdog Breeder Club is genetic improvement, study, promotion, increase and use of the Maremma sheepdog in perfect harmony with the function and history of this antic breed. CPMA Art. 1
It´s been the perfect agreement between my own beliefs and what is expressed by the first constitutive article of the Maremma Sheepdog Breeder Club, that has made me chose the article mentioned above as the introduction for my presentation page.
Dr. Dario Capogrosso
Background of the breeder
I've been an active WWF member since the end of the 80ies. Breeder and selector of colored canaries and chaffinches since 1993, registered at FOI (Italian Bird Breeder Federation – www.foi.it), having won numerous show recognitions and published several articles in the branch magazine "Italia Ornitologica”. My personal and professional growth was never too far away from the “naturalistic” foundation that has always been part of me.
Even while studying Animal Production Sciences and Technologies at the Veterinary department in Milan first, and at the Van Hall University of Applied Sciences in Leeuwarden/Holland, later (Wild Fauna conservation and preservation studies), my aim has always been to acquire new expertise and knowledge in the animal world, especially in the zoo-technical field. I had the fortune to assist in real time to the Varenne deeds (the famous Italian trotter horse), learning from his coach, Juri Turija, the best techniques of equine management. Working between the Vinovo racecourse and the Finnish trotting tracks will always be a cherished part of my memory.
During my period in Milan and Rome I got more and more convinced of the values of the Europe-oriented student associations, and being an active part of them have helped me developing strong capacities of organization, innovation and human resources management. As a president of the Erasmus Student Network Milano with a 5-years mandate first, and as National Representative of ESN Italy (www.esn.it) later, I had the chance to propose and to put to life several objectives that are still of great importance in the operating context.
I am a member of the Circolo del Pastore Maremmano-Abruzzese as of 2007, and being the president of the then-newborn Northern Delegation has been one of the achievements in that field.
I’m the owner of the Enci FCI recognized kennel “Pastore Transumante" and I cooperative with most important Italian, European and extra-continental Maremma breeders, also due to good linguistic knowledge. My current profession is that of an allround animal manager, dog breeding consultant and professional breeder of alpacas and Italian Guardian Dog breeds.
A free-lance nutritionist consultant for dog nutrition in cooperation with Vema Pet Food Italia and nutrition expert for camelids, having developed and produced an exclusive pellet food integrater for camelids.
After being in charge of international public relationships and being the president of the North-West Alpaca Delegation, I took great pride and satisfaction in being the Vicepresident of the National Alpaca Association, Società Italiana Alpaca, taking care of public relations and comunication strategies. Later, I could contribute as founding memeber to the birth and development of SNAEL, Società Nazionale Italiana Alpaca e Lama, that is taking care of both the camelid species, in particular Vicugna Pacos e Lama Glama.
Accomplished Master Allevatori ENCI (ENCI Breeder Master) in 2013.
Obtained the title of Consulente cinofilo cani da guardia FICG (Guardian Dogs Consultant FICG) in 2014.
Obtained the title of Ispettore Federale cani da guardia FICG (Federal Guardian Dogs Inspector FICG) in 2015.
Obtained the title of Tecnico Cinofilo per cani da Guardiania Anti Lupo (Anti-Wolf Guarding Dogs specialist), authorized by CISCAL nel 2015.
Co-founder of Istituto di Cinofilia Naturale in 2016.
Obtained the title of Consulente Cinofilo di Cinofilia Naturale (Natural Dogbreeding Science Consultant) in 2016.
Waiting for the nomination to International Alpaca Judge by the British Alpaca Society.
Along with my working obligations, I’m trying to be an attentive husband and caring father. I’ll never stop thanking my wife for having embraced my dreams and to have made them into a lifetime project together with me. The love for my human and animal family is the essence of my life.
The engagement of cynophile activity
and the actions aimed at the benefits of the breed. A silent, humble and loyal way of contributing to the movement.
- In the last years, the Pastore Transumante kennel has attained almost all of the mono-breed shows organized by the CPMA, presenting a great number of animals, notwithstanding the distances, the adverse conditions and state of the dogs, nor considering the valuing judges; more often than not the obtained results have been very satisfactory. Participating at all the activities of the CPMA in the last four years. Technical conventions and manifestations, such as “War Dogs” edition in Crema in 2011, being the only representative of the CPMA).
- Creation of a valid morphological evaluation tool, a questionary and a BLUP model, presented at a technical convention, that hopefully will be used in the future for a more accurate evaluation of the breed.
- Committed full-heartedly to the reintroduction of the TMC and the Club Championship; constant participation and promotion of the abovementioned appointments.
- Field support and assistance to the Council member Grossi Valter and Dottoressa Dalmasso Silvia in the cooperation program with the regions of Liguria and Piemont, in particular with the Parco dell'Orsiera Rocciavrè. The particular program aimed at introducing maremmas coming mainly from the Abruzzo region into alpine and prealpine areas in order to protect local flocks.
- Preparing a letter in Italian and English with cooperation request to numerous foreign breeders, sent out by the CPMA secretary to the addressees in 2011.
- Being the translator of the first encounter and of the minutes of the International Maremma Sheepdog Club.
- Committed to sponsor search aimed to support the mono-breed shows of the Club. Flatazor has been the official sponsor from 2010 to 2012. As of 2012 Biomill is the sponsor of all the mono-breed shows, the Club Championship and any other activities.
- Committed to promoting and presenting the true character and essence of the Maremma Sheepdog in a geographical context that for undefined reasons nurtures deep prejudices concerning the psychological equilibrium of the breed. This promotion is done together with local schools and institutions.
- Celebration and appreciation of the Maremma as an excellent alpaca guardian dog. Creation of Alpacando, the first ranch worldwide that unites the breeding and selection of both the alpacas and its guardian, the Maremma Sheepdog.
- Breeding following the principles of the Breed Standard and those of the CPMA: for example, all dogs older than 18 months and aimed at reproduction are officially x-rayed for hip and elbow dysplasia. Morpho-characterial test passed with excellent results.
- Training and education of aspiring new breeders or simply passionate PMA owners. Presentation of new members to the CPMA.
- Commitment and cordiality towards each and every “actor” of our little universe, respect, admiration and the will to cooperate and grow together.